Had a long discussion with the girls tonight about the whole genealogy rundown in the book of Genesis. Adam and Eve had sons and then their sons had sons, but wait......who did their sons marry? Gasp! Their sisters? It doesn't really explain that, but one must assume the obvious here. Over the years, I have read the theory that these stories from the Old Testament are just that....stories. Because modern science tells us that to have incestual (sp?) relations like this would cause serious birth defects. But it also tells us in the book of Genesis that most of the characters were living well beyond 800 years. So, in my humble opinion, I'm thinking that this is just one of those God things and through him all things were possible.
I have always wondered why God had direct interaction with Adam and Eve and many generations after that, but then nothing. Genesis 6:3 says:
| |||
I am not sure if this is an answer to that question or not. I would be interested in what you guys think.
I read some of today's reading this morning, but am getting ready to wind down for the night and head into the bedroom to finish the rest of the reading. So I thought I would post tomorrow's reading list for those of you that get up hours before me. :)
GENESIS 11:1-26
1CHRONICLES 1:24-27
GENESIS 11:27-31
GENESIS 12:1-14:24
I need to get my Bible already so I can follow this! But yeah I was curious why God would only live 120 years but other men lived to be 800!
ReplyDeleteI thought it was saying that God would only walk with man for 120 yrs, but I'm not really sure. I need to read some other translations and see what they say. Did you go to the website that I posted? You can read the readings right there until you get a Bible that you like.
ReplyDeleteI finished the readings for today and tomorrow. It always makes me smile when God tells Abraham that He will give Abraham and Sarah a child and Abraham laughs and says at my age...It's interesting that after all Abraham has seen God do for him that he laughs at the thought of conceiving a baby at that age.
ReplyDeleteAmy
I love how Sarah was listening inside the tent and laughed too, but then totally denied it. "Uh? What? I didn't laugh?" :)
ReplyDeleteI totally agree. Can't say I wouldn't have the same reaction...but through God anything is possible. :)
ReplyDelete