I have kept up with my reading so far, but haven't posted in a while. I hope that you guys will feel free to post too. The story of Joseph's brother's selling him has always been one of those stories that I remembered well. But in reading some of the commentary associated with today's reading, I had to ask myself if I would have been so forgiving of those who had wronged me.
I am afraid that I would have been consumed with my misfortune and bitterness towards those who had wronged me. I am a pretty open person and try to help people when I can, but I also tend to get my feelings hurt very easily. :( If someone does hurt me, I am not the type of person who would ever seek out revenge or wish someone ill, but I don't easily open myself up to that person again. I can forgive, but I tend to want to just move on and not "go back" there.
Me too Carol. I don't think you truly understand how hard forgiveness is until someone really wrongs you.
ReplyDeleteNow coming from the background I did and I can remember desperately wanting forgiveness and feeling as though I did not deserve it. I learned through many hours of studying that I did deserve it and could get it. Many many years later something happened that hurt me and more importantly someone very close to me. I knew at some point I had to forgive...I did not want to nor did I believe at that time that the person deserved it. I knew in my heart that if expected God to forgive me I had to forgive. It is the hardest thing I have ever had to do however I cannot be around this person I could never have a relationship with this person. I feel as though I have forgivin but I'm am still not whole heartedly there yet. :( It is a constant struggle. But forgiveness is for ALL.
Do you think truly forgiving someone involves having a relationship with them? I had to walk away from a relationship with my dad. I forgave him for all of the wrongs I feel he did to me and my sister, but I know that he will never change and I don't want to put myself out there to be hurt again. So I'm just curious if you guys feel that this is truly forgiveness or am I fooling myself?
ReplyDelete